Nov
01

Digital Storytelling in the Classroom

Filed Under (COETAIL.Asia) by on November 1, 2009 and tagged , ,

There is nothing more powerful than a digital story.  I love ‘em.  I love the combination of voice, music, and images.  I love the planning and the creativity that goes into telling a digital story and I LOVE the fact the digital stories are much easier to share with family and friends.

Daniel H Pink, in his book, A Whole New Mind says:

We are our stories.  We compress years of experience, thought, and emotion into a few compact narratives that we convey to others and tell to ourselves.  That has always been true. But personal narrative has become more prevalent, and perhaps more urgent, in a time of abundance, when many of us are freer to seek a deeper understanding of ourselves and our purpose.

Digital storytelling’s place in the classroom has cemented itself as one of the most powerful mediums available to our students.  It’s a chance for their stories to be created, to be heard, and to be shared.

I really loved Photostory3 in the classroom as software for digital storytelling.  It offers students and teachers the chance to create simple, effective digital stories, taking care of the “bells and whistles” that students tend to get carried away with – but still left that option open if it was needed (challenge for those digital natives in your classroom).  I wish someone would create a Photostory3 for the Mac! (Hint, hint someone!!) My prayers have kinda been answered with PhotoPeach I wrote about using PhotoPeach a while back, and I’m still liking it.  There’s a couple of missing features that would really put PhotoPeach on a par with Photostory3 – the ability to rotate photos and to add audio!  But it’s still pretty effective if I do say so myself.  I really like the feature of adding music from a general offering of styles – one less thing to think about if you are beginning digital storytelling in the classroom.  Being able to choose music without worrying about copyright is a bonus.

Here’s Day 1 of a recent trip to Cambodia, to show just how simple yet effective you can tell a story digitally. My general rule of thumb is ……..  if it takes me about 15 minutes, chances are that Grade 5 students can make theirs in two 45 minute sessions plus planning/storyboard time!

Not bad, for another “freebie” tool on the web!

2 Responses to “Digital Storytelling in the Classroom”

1.   Kim Cofino Says:

Love it! I haven’t tried PhotoPeach yet, but clearly I have got to get on it! I think it would be perfect for Carole’s project that she’s been using MovieMaker for. Can you also record your voice?

2.   teachingsagittarian Says:

Recording your voice is the one thing that PhotoPeach doesn’t allow you to do ….. yet! Here’s hoping the creators of PhotoPeach are reading this!!